Thursday, June 12, 2008

Leave your impression: Here.


I was up north the past couple of days, the area to be kept a secret, but I went up north to hang out with him and his friends. Being a city girl, from one of the busiest, nosiest and cluttered cities in the world, the "country" was definitely a nice relief. 

It made me remember just how beautiful Canada actually is. We would like drive through valleys and mountains and be surrounded by trees and rocks, and all I kept saying was "Wow, this is gorgeous." Course I think I came across as a little lame, since I was amazed by trees...but it is because you don't see nice big clusters and mountains and hills of beautiful, green, tall, pine-y smelling trees in Toronto. What you do see is random, rotting trees strategically placed to create some sort of attractive look, which is far from what it displays. Anyways, I was amazed by trees, and hikes and water this weekend and it really made me remember what I miss out on. 

Anyways, the trees were so nice, but I guess this blog is more about first impressions. I met all of his friends this weekend, and when I say "all," I mean all. They were all really nice. Jimmy, I had met a few years ago but only for about 5 minutes, and since then have been like really good MSN buddies. He's that smart insightful guy I've mentioned a couple times in my blog. But anyway's I met him for the second and a much longer time this weekend..and I guess with him and the rest of his other friends, Im wondering what kind of impression I made. 

First impressions are actually very scary. I mean, they told me they really liked me, even before alcohol got involved, but I guess the question I have is: How can you be sure that the first impression you make, is the right one? 

Friends are like a really important part of keeping something going, and I just want to make sure that I can fit into his life. Like with Jimmy, there in the flesh it was a lot of fun and I felt like we clicked really well, just as well as we clicked on MSN. Mind you, alcohol was involved so I don't know if that played a part. But then I didn't have the most enticing conversation with him yesterday, like we usually do. That could be because he left the cottage at like 5 in the morning to work at 7, for an 8 hour shift and thus was tired. But I still wonder if that in person, first real impression changed anything of what he thought about me. 

Jacks other friend, Katie added me on Facebook, which I guess is a good sign; right? Even still, how do I know that it was a good first impression? Furthermore, why am I so propelled to impress his friends?..

I tried to play it pretty cool. At first I was a little shy, didn't really involve myself in their conversations, but then as I felt more comfortable, I began to like open up, and I felt like I was within their group of friends. Even still though, I wasn't as crazy as them in terms of jumping in the lake at odd hours of the night, mainly cause of my own insecurities. 

But I just hope they thought I was as nice as I thought they were. Other than wondering about my first impression, I had a blast. Up north is just so....cute. 


Cheers mates. 

6 comments:

Tessa Rose said...

First impressions scare me to death. I have 2 "meeting new people" personalities that I recycle, and both stem from insecuritites. Either I'm super shy and come across as somewhat stuck-up, or I act really friendly, but also very childish. Once I get to know people I'm not such a lunatic. But I'm pretty sure I make a strange and inaccurate first impression. Anyways, it sounds like you did well with his friends. Good luck!

Julie Nygaard said...

First impressions - from the sounds of things, everything is good :)

Tairebabs said...

I totally agree with collegegirl, first impressions scare me! You just never know if you are fitting in or if they think you are really stuck-up or even trying to hard. I try as much as possible to be myself. From your post, I think it went pretty well.

NePaul Wilson said...

haha the North is pretty rocking, I'm much more of a eastern man though. I need my tea and eggs n' baskets! On another note though I think my first impressions are that of a stand up comedian, blunt, full of insult, satire, and a lovable aura that for some reason you stick around for. From the sound of it you made a good first impression which is always a good thing.

One thing I've come to realize though is if you want to make a GREAT impression, bring cake, never fails. At that point you could tell them their mother was a bitch and their father ran to Cuba and they still think you were awesome.

Bharat said...

throw caution to winds woman! i used to be scared of first impressions and all that, but then i found "the knowledge"... most of the time, what you think of other people is what they think of you... most of the time, mind you :)

justchum said...

@collegegirl: I totally understand and agree with that two personality things, like pretty much in the same ways, either shy and to myself, or too happy and excited and crazy. But thanks for the support. I hope i did :D ps. nice blogg!

@julie: i hope so.

@tairebabs: fitting in is the huge thing. it felt like highschool all over again. they all knew what they were talking about, old teachers, friends, foes, so fromt he outside it was indeed a little awkward!

@half the fun: Eastern man eh, eggs , tea and baskets would do it .Mmm and cake, everyone loves cake..but imagine pie!! people would die for pie!
Comedians are funny though, definitely something to stick around for. Mmm. Now I want pie...or cake.

@bharat: hmm if that theory follows, i thought they were awesome, so yay for me being awesome :P!!