Thursday, April 10, 2008

Update...again?



So I've been pestered by all of these updates my computer has been demanding me to do. I figure they might be why my computers been running slow, so I also figure its a great opportunity to clear up my computer, maybe do some defragmentation (which I am very happy to have learned about, all thanks to one button). I thought perhaps I'd run an anti-spyware program, the one I never run..came up I had 200 critical objects. Tsk tsk. Can't let it get that big anymore. So after I do all that computer junk, again done easily by the click of a couple buttons, I figure I'll get cracking on those updates. Let me tell you though. I never knew how many god damn updates I actually had pestering me. The first was Windows asking me to do some computer updates...Microsoft updates I think. So I'm thinking heck why not. After a couple seconds I see

"....initializing update...1/3 ....complete!"

"....initializing update...2/3...complete!"

Just when I think I'm in the clear, and ready to finish this update, it goes on bitching about how I have to insert a CD..something about...an XP service pack. I mean c'mon, I'd say I'm relatively computer savy...but I can't even find this one CD? I know I have it somewhere, but where, I definitely couldn't tell you. I go on asking my dad about it and hes nagging on about how I can't take care of my own business.. (I thought to myself..when did my computer become a business) anyways he goes on giving me some of his "wisdom" and "advice"...and says "look for it, it'll be in the last place you'd look i bet." WELL DUH. If i found it, then I wouldn't have to look anymore. Wisdom? I call that common sense, thank you very much dad.

Anyways, so I have this update bothering me about how I don't have the CD and I figure it can't be that important, so I continue along and they tell me "In order to complete the update process you need to restart your computer: Restart Now or Restart later." God damnit, all I want to do is finish this update ASAP and get back to my itunes listening. Course I wouldn't care about the restarting, but my laptop takes about a century to shut down. So whatever, I figure I'll restart. 20 minutes later Windows is up and running again ..only to warn me now that Adobe reader (when the hell am I gonna use that? ) wants to update. So I'm thinking, fuckin eh, I've been putting this one off on ignore for a couple months now, I GUESS I'll get it over with. So I wait and wait....10 minutes later, success...its updated. Oh but wait, they want to bother me again..and make me restart my computer AGAIN! I figure I might as well take a 20 minute nap this time.

20..minutes later.

Im thinkin alright, I've got them out of the way, time for some good o'l facebook and some itunes. So naturally I open up facebook and go to this "Who has the bigger brain" game, which is ridiculously addicting, and that of which I've of course played several times. Today though, they're like..."You need to install the newest version of Flash player. Easy enough. Two down, what is one more. I go to the link they direct me to, click on "install" , click on, enable Active...bleh bleh...and wait. They say it'll take a couple minutes and then you'll see a movie, and that's when you'll know its done. So I wait, and wait some more. No luck. 10 minutes..20..minutes...30 minutes..it is still installing. Im thinkin "seriously?" So i decide I really want to play that game..maybe it'll work if I uninstall the current Flash Player on my computer and then re-install. So thats what I do, but now I've gotta restart for any changes in my computer to be effective..says Windows. So I do as they follow..20 minutes later...computers up and running..10 minutes later Flash is installed. HO YEAH! Success!

Course I play the game for a while now, gotta get back in that 4th place I was..figure I deserve it after all that hard hard work installing. But i decide that I want my itunes music instead of the games music, so I open up itunes excited to play some Kate Nash and The Shins..but I'll be damned, itunes wants an update. Isn't that surprising. Course I install it hoping it'll be the last thing I'll have to update. I never knew a computer could have so many gosh darn updates They should just have a whole "update package." Though it makes me wonder how cool it would be to be able to update all parts of your life.

"update my car"

"update my dog"

"update my house"

"update my job"

"and god damnit update my spouse"

If only eh?

Well Im sure I'll be back tomorrow, hopefully with no more updates to mention, unless of course they're about my life ; ). Until then, leave the cheese in the fridge and grab the jerky!

Cheers.

5 comments:

Silver Canyons said...

I can really relate to this post....computers, you can't live with them and are so lost without them!

justchum said...

aw, thanks for commenting. Yeah computers are definetly creating this dependency thing, kind of scary actually, but as they seem to get easier and easier, they also seem to get more complicated. Who'da thunk it?

Seeker said...

The secret of updating is to either update daily or like me find somebody to update while you squatting that friend computer and screwing up something lol

I love the description of your Blog , make you wanna smile and so...I dunno :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there! :-)

I particularly enjoyed your post about updates. But it appears to me that your PC is infected and/or in dire need of maintenance (scandisk, defrag, cleaning the inside of the machine, etc). If you wish, I can help you get the upperhand before your machine crashes for good (and I sure pray that you made backups of all things - favorites, e-mails, music, videos, etc - that you have on your computer). In the meantime, keep up the good work! :-)

Anonymous said...

Oops! If you need advice and help, here's my e-mail :

dharamsala55@yahoo.ca

Seriously, if Windows really takes 20 minutes to reboot, your PC have many very serious problems I'm afraid.

As for updates, they are unavoidable. They are needed either in order to keep up with the latest technologies, improve this or that, correct bugs or because hackers have developed exploits that pose a security threat.

All the best! :-)